An un-dynamic duo: Romney announces Ryan as VP pick
By Amanda Litvinov
High profile couplings often make one stop and wonder: What do these two see in each other? But there’s little mystery in the case of GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney and his vice presidential pick, Wisconsin Congressman Paul Ryan, which was announced earlier today.
The two have a lot in common when it comes to their destructive approach to public education and an unflagging commitment to catering to the wealthiest 2 percent of Americans at the expense of the remaining 98 percent.
During his 13 years in Congress, Ryan has repeatedly supported cuts to education funding, including blocking support intended to help avoid educator layoffs and prevent ballooning class sizes. As chair of the House Budget Committee, Ryan was the architect of a plan that proposes to cut $1.1 billion from early childhood education, which would deny more than 2 million poor children the opportunity for high-quality early education.
You can click here to sign the open letter to Mitt Romney and VP choice Paul Ryan and ask them to make investments in education a priority.
“Ryan’s position on fundamental education issues like funding for early childhood education and efforts to keep class sizes small don’t speak to ensuring that every child in this country gets a quality education,” said educator and NEA President Dennis Van Roekel. “It continues Romney’s misguided and out of touch mentality that class size doesn’t matter and children should get as much education as they can ‘afford’.
For full story, visit EducationVotes.org.
- Van Roekel: Romney Shows Complete Disdain for Public Schools and Educators
- Romney Admits Education Policy is Intended to Kill Teacher Unions
- Romney Education Panel a Throwback to Bush Era
- Romney Campaign Chair: ‘Taxpayers Really Do Want To Hear There Will Be Fewer Teachers’
- Van Roekel on Romney: Out of Touch and Turning Back the Clock