Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Educators Take a Stand During National Bullying Prevention Month

October 2, 2013 by twalker

By Sara Robertson and Edward Graham

October marks the observance of National Bullying Prevention Month, an annual campaign that brings educators, schools, and communities together to combat the damaging impact that bullying can have on students. With nearly one-third of students reporting being bullied in school and nearly half of adolescents and teens saying they have been bullied online, bullying has reached epidemic levels, especially as some studies connect bullying with suicidal thoughts.

At the first ever White House Conference on Bullying Prevention in 2011, President Obama discussed the scope of the bullying epidemic in schools across the country.

“Almost 3 million students have said they were pushed, shoved, tripped, even spit on,” Obama said. “It’s also more likely to affect kids that are seen as different, whether it’s because of the color of their skin, the clothes they wear, the disability they may have, or sexual orientation.”

National Bullying Prevention Month was started in 2006 by PACER’s National Center for Bullying Prevention, and since its conception the National Education Association and other education-oriented organizations have partnered up to provide schools with bullying prevention tools and resources. All across the country this month, hundreds of schools and organizations are recognizing the harmful affects of bullying through collaborative programs, initiatives, and bullying prevention measures to highlight what students and educators can do to ensure safe and healthy school environments.

Click to Enlarge

In a 2011 NEA member survey, 98 percent of educators agreed they play a vital role in bullying prevention.

“NEA members across the country are stepping up and embracing their responsibility to protect students and end bullying in our schools. From teachers and bus drivers, to office staff and custodians, we are the eyes and ears in our schools, and we’re saying enough is enough. Every child deserves to learn and grow in a safe, caring environment,” said NEA President Dennis Van Roekel.

Additional research suggests that all stakeholders in a school’s community must be engaged to effectively prevent bullying and ensure the school climate, the quality and character of school life, is not conducive to bullying behavior. To meet that goal, NEA will assemble researchers, policy makers, practitioners and other key education stakeholders October 8 in summit in Washington, D.C during National Bullying Prevention Month to discuss concrete ways to make our schools safer for all students.

“This critical issue is on the minds of students, parents, educators and community members, and in the media as well. We know we have a serious problem on our hands and we are taking the next steps to create a systemic change in all our schools,” said Van Roekel.

According to a 2011 NEA survey of educators:

• Teachers and support professionals report that bullying based on a student’s weight (23%), gender (20%), perceived sexual orientation (18%) or disability (12%) were of concern in their school.
  • Verbal bullying (59%) is the most common form of bullying in schools, followed by social/relational (50%), physical (39%), and cyberbullying (17%).

Other studies reveal the following key facts:

• 60% of students with disabilities report being bullied regularly compared with 25 percent of all students.
  • In 2011, a higher percentage of students reported notifying an adult after being bullied at school than after being cyberbullied anywhere (40 vs. 26 percent).
    • 31.8% of LGBTQ students missed at least one entire day of school in the past month because they felt unsafe.
    • In 2011, about 28 percent of students ages 12–18 reported being bullied at school during the school year.

NEA has developed a comprehensive plan to combat bullying in our schools, and more than 40,000 NEA members have taken the Bully Free: It Starts With Me Pledge. Signers receive NEA’s Bullying Prevention poster, window cling and button, and access to other free resources, such as the Bully Free Kit.  All resources, tools, and training materials to help educators stop bullying behaviors and create a positive learning environment can be found at nea.org/bullyfree.

Through NEA’s online resources and on-the-ground trainings provided by NEA’s Human and Civil Rights team at the school, district, state, association and national levels, NEA members in all 50 states are making a difference.

For more information and to take NEA’s Bully Free: It Starts With Me Pledge, please go here.

Read “Bully-Free Doesn’t Just Happen: All of US Are Needed” by NEA Vice President Lily Eskelsen García

Comments

18 Responses to “Educators Take a Stand During National Bullying Prevention Month”
  1. New Teacher says:

Well, like everything else, stopping bullying is an industry. I, for one, hope we can make bullying kill itself.

It might be badthink to suggest bullying is an aspect of human nature. Without a doubt, a zero tolerance policy which rewards tattling, as opposed to teaching students how to stand up for themselves, must be the ONLY option. Let us use the extreme cases to dictate the smaller cases. (For according to contemporary anti-bullying logic, I should have told a teacher instead of standing up for myself in high school!) Sorry for the rambling. As a teacher, I simply detest being coerced to abandon common sense.

2. RC Castro says:

It’s great way of initiating this kind of event it really helps for the eradication of bullying in our community. It is a great opportunity for everyone to help eliminate bullying in any means possible; this would be a perfect weapon in battling against bullying. Keeping children safety in the community, especially in their school is a great relief for parents who has been really busy to monitor their children’s safety. Let us always take actions against bullying so it could not harm children anymore. http://safekidzone.com/

3. Jerry Doctor says:

Not surprising you removed my plea to stop bullying teachers to join NEA. I guess I’m not allowed to express my opinion just because I pay dues and actually use my name instead of using a handle to hide behind. Nope. Agree with the leadership or shut up. Wonder how long this comment will last.

4. Bessie says:

I know this website offers quality dependent content and extra stuff, is
    there any other web page which presents these kinds of things in quality?

5. Margarita says:

I have read so many content regarding the blogger lovers however this piece of writing is
    really a nice piece of writing, keep it up.

6. If you desire to obtain a great deal from this paragraph then you have to apply these methods to your
    won webpage.

7. I do not even know how I ended up here, but
    I thought this post was good. I do not know who you are but certainly you are going to a famous blogger if
    you aren’t already ;) Cheers!

8. Frieda says:

This website was… how do you say it? Relevant!!
    Finally I’ve found something that helped me.
    Thanks a lot!

9. Amazing blog! Is your theme custom made or did you
    download it from somewhere? A design like yours with a few simple
    adjustements would really make my blog stand out. Please let
    me know where you got your design. Bless you

10. I just like the valuable information you supply on your articles.

I will bookmark your blog and test again right here regularly.
    I am reasonably sure I will learn many new stuff proper
    right here! Best of luck for the following!

11. You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which
    I think I would never understand. It seems too complex and extremely broad for
    me. I’m looking forward for your next post, I will
    try to get the hang of it!

12. Norine says:

Please let me know if you’re looking for a writer for your weblog.
    You have some really great articles and I
    feel I would be a good asset. If you ever want to
    take some of the load off, I’d really like to write some content for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine.
    Please shoot me an email if interested. Cheers!

13. Rhea says:

Good day! I know this is kinda off topic however I’d figured I’d ask.

Would you be interested in trading links or maybe guest authoring
    a blog post or vice-versa? My blog covers a lot of the same subjects as yours
    and I believe we could greatly benefit from each other.

If you are interested feel free to send me an e-mail.
    I look forward to hearing from you! Fantastic blog by the way!

14. I was recommended this website by my cousin. I am not
    sure whether this post is written by him as no one else know such detailed about
    my difficulty. You are wonderful! Thanks!

15. Alisa says:

I’d like to find out more? I’d care to find out some additional information.

16. My brother recommended I might like this blog. He was once entirely right.
    This put up truly made my day. You cann’t consider just how so much time I had
    spent for this info! Thanks!

17. Hey! This post couldn’t be written any better!
    Reading this post reminds me of my old room mate! He always kept
    chatting about this. I will forward this article to him.
    Fairly certain he will have a good read. Many thanks for sharing!

1. [...] credit: National Education Association, [...]