CDC also recommends following these simple everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses overall.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Practice respiratory etiquette. Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Follow CDC’s recommendations for using a facemask. CDC does not recommend that people who are well wear a facemask to protect themselves from respiratory diseases, including COVID-19. Facemasks should be used by people who show symptoms of COVID-19 to help prevent the spread of the disease to others. The use of facemasks is also crucial for health workers and people who are taking care of someone in close settings (at home or in a health care facility).
- If traveling, follow CDC guidance for travelers at https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/warning/novel-coronavirus-china.